Tuesday 3 June 2014

From Deacon Andrew

As some of you may be aware, recently one of my brothers and my two sisters were diagnosed with cancer – all within the same week.
My sister Liz who lives in New Zealand, has already had surgery but has been told she now needs further surgery. My sister Mary’s cancer is more advanced than first thought and she is facing surgery followed by more treatment. My brother Paul has been told his cancer is inoperable and he is now under the care of the palliative care team in Birmingham. He has been told his prognosis is only weeks to months. Along with all this, my Mom remains very frail and is living with dementia.
People have asked me if all this has tested my faith. People have also asked me how I am managing to cope with all this.
The answer to the first question is – no.
The answer to the second question is – prayer.
Our greatest prayer is the Mass.
My work at the hospice gives me the great privilege of seeing firsthand the power of the Sacraments.
Two Sundays ago I was still reeling from the terrible news, when, during Mass I was given a truly wonderful blessing.
At Holy Communion, as I held the chalice, I looked down at the precious blood – and was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of God’s peace and pure unconditional love. It was then that I heard Jesus clearly say “the days ahead will be very difficult; but do not be afraid, you do not face them alone.....I am with you.”
People have been very kind and supportive, and promised to keep me and my family in their prayers – for which I am very grateful and I would ask you please to continue.
In turn I pray that we, as a community, continue to grow in faith and love for the wonderful and precious gift of God in the Eucharist.
“Let Jesus present in the Blessed Sacrament speak to your heart.” St John Paul II